Monday, March 16, 2015

Synecdoche, Metonymy, and Apostrophe Passages

Synecdoche
Goodnight Sweet Winter

             I slammed the frame into its place. The snowstorm was no longer streaming into my room. I started eating the box of popcorn. It was still freezing. I stared out the abysmal window at the craters shining down upon me. I grabbed the tin and spat my popcorn out. I grabbed the salt and dumped it onto all the popcorn. I devoured the popcorn, causing my face to turn inward.
            The annoying chirping beak started in my room again, giving me new anguish. I grasped my lead and continued working. My words were quite undistinguishable on the thin sheet of wood. I changed my glare towards the cement above me to see that a strange ravine was forming. The reshaped clay and gravel fell inward onto me. The pile of rocks stood there amongst the newly formed silence of the cold winter’s night, concealed within the confines of isolation at the lodge.

Metonymy
Thanks Jack Black

            If there is anything Hollywood taught me, it’s to stick it to The Man, which is in a way ironic. After watching the film in class I can understand that this is ironic because Hollywood is part of the problem with The Man. Hollywood is the fancy ties and large checks that suppress freedom and what truly matters. The Hollywood glow is displayed, but almost nothing of true value is.
            Even though that’s the truth, many sit there in their lavish homes being fed grapes still on the vine, while many others sit in a poor situation. The status of the yacht, it’s symbol, and what Hollywood calls lifetime achievement, does not fool me. The highflying flag can only do so much to protect the welfare of its people before Hollywood and the gold members of society fight back against it. All things considered, the movie we watched in class was a very eye-opening documentary about the hypocritical and barbaric society we live in today.

Apostrophe
Eris


            Oh emotion! How dare you make me feel the way I do! You can make me feel a trillion of separate feelings all interwoven into one giant state of being. You can’t make me so happy, and then bring me down into a slump, it’s simply not right. What right do you have? Are you a god? Are you some sort of omniscient being that can control everything and everyone with one flip of a switch?!? You control our actions with that ceaseless power of yours. How interesting it must be to be you, the person who both destroys and builds one’s self.

No comments:

Post a Comment